This took some time to sink in – but I feel very privileged to have been nominated for the Liebster Award. Thank you Silverwheel, for the nomination. What an amazing and inspiring blog to read – a very talented woman. And I couldn’t believe how much we have in common! Thank you for your kind words in your introduction – I have decided I love being called ‘strong’ and ‘creative’, although I am sure I am not
One of my favourite blogs is that of Claire. This is such a talented lady and her needlework is absolutely beautiful. One of my favourite projects I shamelessly copied from her – a Biscornu pincushion! I love how she does a variety of crafts and how we started to learn how to crochet more or less at the same time – me jumping straight in with a project (way over my head) and Claire taking the time to learn and practice properly, and completing lovely projects. I admire the way she taught herself how to crochet. I am totally jealous of her beautiful work
According to the rules of the award I have to tell you about myself. I suppose this should be stuff I haven’t discussed so openly in my blog so far? I will try but there will be some overlapping:
- I have three wonderful children and I am SOOO proud of each of them – not because of what they do/have done/will do one day – but because they are such lovely, kind people. I am proud of who they are
- I adore my cats, but I actually love all types of animals. Sometimes I like spiders too, but only if I cannot see them
- I will be hard for me not to have a book to read. These days I don’t often read the ‘real’ thing, as I have moved on to electronic books. But, as with the physical book, I am always reading a few at the same time. When I was younger I always had a book in every room of the house and would read wherever I was. I still read several books at the same time – it depends on my mood. But I love dramas, autobiographies, thrillers, medical crime and then the normal soppy, love stories. Give me a book and I am happy
- Photography is one of my passions. When you see a grey, limping lady walking around aimlessly, clicking away – yep, that is me
- I am a Computer Science teacher. But I always wanted to be a doctor. I still want to be a doctor, I often regret not being able to follow my dream. Teaching, although I turned out to be quite good at my job, has never been my passion. And that is why I always encouraged my children to follow their dreams, to be happy in what they do, to make sure they love their jobs as much as they can. Yes, most of the time I enjoy teaching (it is just the office-politics that get me) – but it has never been my dream job
- I have always been such a healthy person. And then breast cancer happened and since then my body has been falling apart a wee bit 🙂
- I do needlework – smocking, quilting, patchwork, knitting, crocheting, cross-stitching………but I also do carving – bone, stone, wood. My craft is very much like reading, I like jumping from one thing to another. I go through stages where I’ll focus on a craft and then move onto the next. 2015 was my carving year, 2016 was my quilting year. It seems as if 2017 is all about knitting and crocheting. Can’t wait to see what is happening in 2018 🙂
- As a child I hated unpicking when I made a mistake – I still totally hate it. Accidentally embroidered a cross stitch project to my pyjama pants once last year……I now have a hole in my PJ’s because I simply cut it off, instead of unpicking (or frogging, as some people say)
- My mum taught me how to craft and sew. She used to make all our clothes and encouraged me all the time. I made my first dress at 12, and after anything I completed my parents would allow me to buy fabric for the next project. Mum did sewing, she knitted, crocheted. She was such a talented person I I know I got my love for crafts from her. Thanks mum!!!!! I cannot imagine living without creating
- When I am busy with a project I burn food. My poor family had to eat their way through many burnt meals
I have also been asked specific questions:
- Cat person or dog person?
I am definitely a cat person. Love my two cats very, very much. Bella is a Birman and Mollie is a Ragdoll cross and they have been there for me through a few difficult years. I remember a day, Bella was about 5 months old, when things became a bit much for me and I was sitting on my bed, crying my eyes out…………Bella kept on bringing me toy after toy until I had about every single toy she owned around me on the bed. How on earth can you not smile when a cat does this for you 🙂
About 18 months ago Mollie joined Bella and I (my kids always say whenever one of them leave the country I replace them with a cat). Another crazy, amazing cat with so much personality. She is a gentle giant and flops on your lap, always asking for cuddles. And oh, so vocal, she talks non-stop. And yes, I do reply and I also ask her heaps of questions
- If you had only time for one more project – which one would you choose?
Oh no, please don’t make me choose…….I really want to make a ‘cat’ quilt using jelly rolls. I really want to smock a few more dresses. I really want to try cake decorating……..
- What craft would you love to learn but did not have had time to try?
Cake decorating. And hardhanger. These questions are really hard, there are so many different things I still want to try
- Of all the projects you have ever created which on is your favorite?
My Bee-utiful quilt, designed by Pamela Morgan. But I do like the little cardigan I just finished knitting. I also love the Crochet fusion quilt!!!!!!! I don’t know, I think the last project I complete is always my favourite
- Travelling is my passion – what passion other than crafting to you have?
I also love travelling and wouldn’t mind winning LOTTO so that I can travel. There are so many places still to be explored. My other passion is photography – I am an amateur photographer and don’t really do much with my photos, but I love trying new techniques. I don’t really edit my photos, except for basic cropping/sharpening/straightening, most I post on FB on here are straight out of the camera
- You are stranded on a lonely island with only 5 items – which are your absolutely must haves you could not live without?
Are cats items? I don’t think they are but I will need both of them. And my camera, my iPad to access my books and definitely a needlework project
- As a bookworm myself I have to ask – what’s the best book which everyone should have read?
I simply cannot choose, but my favourite author is Tess Gerritson. If you love crime stories – this is it
- What’s your favorite color?
Blue!!!!!!! All shades of blue!
- What is the most important thing you would tell a newbie in your favorite craft?
Just enjoy what you are doing. A craft must be enjoyed – the moment you stress about it, or totally hate it – STOP and find something else. Life is too short to not like your hobby
- How many UFOs are currently in your to do basket?
Actually not too many. I have one quilt to be quilted and a few little dresses to make, I have already done the smocking for these dresses.
I now nominate the following bloggers/blogs for the Liebster award:
- Jenny, the Romany quilter. Jenny loves quilting and travelling. I love reading about her and her husband’s adventures with their caravan. I also love how she rolls the dice to decide which projects to work on. Never a dull moment when you follow her blog
- Carole, with A Slight Obsession with Books, who loves cats as much as I do – why else would she be busy building a cat enclosure 🙂 She is busy crocheting a temperature blanket which is going to be beautiful when done; and her cross stitch work is lovely
- Derek and Dot’s Travels of Gypsy Rover is another blog I would like to nominate – their travel stories and beautiful photos make for a great read. Because I love traveling so much I enjoy reading about the adventures of others. And one day I want to travel around the world in a camper van too 🙂
- Gun’s Rutigt blog is another favourite blog. I ‘met’ Gun through the SAL group and admire the work she does. Such talent!
- And of course I want to nominate Claire who’s blog is Claire93 and mentioned above as my favourite blog. I also ‘met’ Claire through the SAL group
Please take some time and read the blogs of these interesting and talented bloggers. But here are some questions I would like them to answer:
- Out of all the countries you have visited or lived, which one did you like the most?
- Why do you blog?
- What is your dream holiday?
- If you win a huge amount of money, how would you spend it?
- What is your biggest regret?
- What is next on your list of projects or places to visit?
- How do you decide which blogs to follow?
More info on the Liebster award can be found here.
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.