I actually think this is the first time I write ‘2019’ anywhere, and it is already the 10th of January! Yes, it is here. It arrived quietly in our house where everyone went to bed around 10 ish. I was awake at midnight to send messages to my children spread all over the world, and to family in South Africa
The year started with us giving the lounge and computer room a good clean. We washed the carpets, washed windows, polished everything, the new curtains (which I bought early in 2018) went up. Rubbish into the rubbish bags. It looks sparkling clean there. I then gave the kitchen a good clean too, although it is one room I like clean and tidy all the time
My ideas/plans for 2019:
- Breadmaking! I want to bake bread and bread rolls and everything bread related and would love to do it at least once a week. I have never really been into breadmaking and used the breadmaker for dough for ‘vetkoek‘, a yummy SA dish I make about once a year. We love having it with mince meat, mustard and tomato sauce. But this year I want to bake bread in the oven. Mix it in the breadmaker, but bake in the oven. Of course, as it happens when you plan stuff like this, the breadmaker decided it’s not on and stopped working. I ordered a new one and it should be here tomorrow. Tomorrow morning I am going to get the ingredients for a basic white bread and bread rolls
- Sew underwear. Since my breast cancer journey my breasts are quite uneven and I find it hard to find comfy bras. I tend to wear bralettes now, but they are not really very pretty. And I love pretty undies. No, I am definitely not going to attempt a fancy bra!!!!! But I have found several bralette patterns and tutorials which I am keen to try.
I have also found several easy panty patterns, different styles and plan to try those as well. And when I decide which ones are the most comfy, after trying all these patterns I am going to make myself really pretty underwear sets. I started thinking about this last year already and bough stretchy lace and knit fabric for the big undie sewing year 🙂
- I am going to sew for myself! I need new tops and have several patterns I want to try out. My fabric is ready, just need the courage. When my children were small I made all their clothes, as well as my own. But life happened and I just didn’t get to it for many years. Not sure how well it will go, after so many years of not sewing for myself I have lost a bit of self-confidence
- Sell online. Last year I tried one market, I didn’t enjoy the experience and do not even want to think about it again. But I have joined a FB group where members sell their goodies. It is open to the public, but they have quite strict rules to sell. Luckily my stuff past the test, my care labels are ready. I added my advert for Reading Pillows a couple of days ago and basically immediately received my first order. The pillow has been made, it has been paid for and will be posted tomorrow. Eventually I am going to add dolls clothes and other bits and pieces. But there is no rush
- Hardanger. Yes, this is the year. Kathy, a fellow blogger is developing an online course/tutorial to follow as a SAL. My materials are ready. I am ready 🙂 Can’t wait!
- I also hope to finish my SS2 quilt. Still 7 blocks to complete, then crochet the border rows. It won’t take long to complete, I think if I set aside a week and make a block or two everyday I can get it done quickly. I planned from the beginning to make a 7×7 quilt and I am happy with the size. Mollie is happy with it too
- Finish the Honeybee quilt. The last block will be released this month, with instructions on how to complete the quilt in February. I should be able to have a completed quilt by the end of February. It is such a pretty design
- Make cloth shopping bags. Here in our town there are no more plastic shopping bags at the supermarkets and we must take our own bags/boxes/container. I found a lovely pattern for shopping bags. It even has a lining which will make them stronger. The plan is to use cheap, but strong, calico
- Make machine covers for my sewing machines. I do sew a lot, but there are times when, for example, my embroidery machine is not used. I am going to make pretty machine covers for the embroidery machine, the sewing machine, the serger and the cheap sewing machine
I have a long list of things I want to sew, some in the above list, but many just random ideas or patterns I want to try out. I want to embroder the shopping cloth bags, I want to embroider the machine covers before making the covers. I need a new bag for my Hardanger supplies as I gave the one I made for myself away. I am busy making touletry bags for my daughter and her partner, to be mailed to Canada. I also want o make my daughter a zipped infinity scarf, to be mailed with the toiletry bags. I want to smock and make a rainbow dress. Maybe a rag quilt………