I feel like a grownup, although I have been one for longer than I can remember. The reason? My own little logo and labels!!!!!! Yes, I now have a label to sew on the smocked dresses – with my own logo, the care instructions and ‘made in New Zealand’. I also have a smaller label with only my logo, to use on bags and other needlework. Oh, and I nearly forgot – teeny weeny little size labels for the dresses. No, I am still not going to sell the dresses, but it will be nice to get my name out there – a little girl will be wearing a smocked SP dress!!!!!
This is not important to me, but it is nice to have it and I have been thinking about getting labels for a while. Shelley, at Labels by Shelley, designed the logo from a very basic idea I had. And I love what she has done. The good thing is that I can also use the logo as a watermark on my photography. See……. grownup stuff!!!
I completed the blue sewing bag and I absolutely love it! There are deep pockets on the back of the bag and heaps more inside the bag. This bag will be used a lot
The cat quilt is done, and it even comes with authentic cat hair! It is lovely and warm with the cuddly minky backing. I had to order the fabric for the backing online and, of course, did it without measuring the quilt first. It was a huge relief when it was just enough! I am planning to use the quilt as it is freezing cold here in New Zealand. We are definitely experiencing a very cold winter this year
Also had a lazy day in front of the embroidery machine today. Decided to make myself a needlework bag. The eight blocks which will be used for the front of the bag are all completed and ready to be turned into a bag. And because I am making it for myself I could go into blue overload!
It is no secret that knitting is not something I enjoy very much, but every single winter I take out the knitting needles and knit – and the moment I cast on the stitches I think ‘why on earth am I doing this again?’
Yes, I bought wool. It wasn’t an impulse buy. It was carefully planned and I even made a list. What is wrong with me???????
This is what I bought. And the colour combination looks a bit weird but I am actually planning two little cardigans. No, not one…….TWO!
I am also planning a new smocking project, something I have never done before, but it should be fun. I have the fabric for the dress and I also sorted the fabric for the butterfly wings. Now just have to pleat, tie it off and smock. At the moment I am planning to change the flowers on the waist to a ribbon with embroidered lace butterflies but I will decide as I make the dress.
We are still battling with the toilet training of the new puppy. It is hard work and I am not sure we are very successful yet. I am doing everything Mr Google told me to do……but as I say, no success yet. She is, once again, nameless as we decided she is not really a Bonnie and the name didn’t suit her at all. I call her Gogga in the meantime (which means bug)
A fabric designer asked me to make a dress with her new fabric for a photoshoot. All good, of course I’ll do it. Especially when she said she’ll pay me in fabric 🙂 And the fabric delivered to me was absolutely gorgeous
I always wash and iron fabric before using it, and did the same with this fabric. I was a bit concerned when I took it out of the washing machine as it was very stiff. But it dried beautifully soft. This was the first time I worked with rayon and fell in love the moment I took that soft cloud of fabric off the washing line
Pleating time – new needles in the pleater, I even pleated a piece of wax paper to make sure the needles were smooth. Rolled it up and started feeding it through the pleater……..oh dear, within the first centimetre the first needle broke. About four others starting bending up. I stopped, replaced the needles, tried again. No luck, the pleater hated the fabric and there was no way I could pleat it
I knew I had iron-on dots somewhere in my stash, about 40 years old as it was leftovers my mum used. I have never used iron-on dots, ever. I have never hand-pleated fabric either. Luckily the dots were still fine and ironed on without a problem
It took me hours and hours to hand pleat 14 rows for smocking, the density of the fabric hindered the needle (although sharp and new) and it wasn’t easy at all
But, in the end, I had it pleated and could smock. The dress has been made and I am actually quite happy with it, will send it to the designer on Monday. There is still some fabric left, but it won’t be used for smocking 🙂
I hope she is happy with the dress. The fabric is so pretty
Our new little pup came home today. I love puppy breath, their clumsiness and playfulness. We couldn’t decide on her name, but after a few hours Bonnie stuck.
I had an idea – which meant that I didn’t fall asleep until 2:30 am – because I kept on planning it all out, over and over. Feeling tired this morning, with a huge headache because of lack of sleep. But immediately parked myself in front of the embroidery machine and embroidered a lace butterfly. This one is tiny, only 5cm from the tip of one wing to the other
This was the first time I have tried Freestanding Lace on the embroidery machine, but I am sure it is not going to be the last. Lesson learnt with the first attempt: use at least 3 layers of stabiliser in the hoop, maybe even 4. And keep a very close eye on every single stitch as the stabiliser tears easily
I am going to make a few more butterflies, different sizes, and with a little bit of colour. And these will go on a pretty little dress, with some ribbon and lace. I am going to go totally overboard with this tree and ordered the fabric this morning 🙂 It is a beautiful Bec Williams design, a border fabric